Subject: Re: 1.4.2 lockmgr
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2000 22:59:28
> Like Bob, I have a Quadra 840 AV (128mb, 2disks: 500mb, 10gb). It was
> remarkably stable during most of the 1.4.2 cycle, until recently.

Hmm, some of my 1.4.2 build machines had freak crashes during the last
round of builds too.

When I recover a bit from the crunch, I'll take a whack at figuring out
how to build packages, and then I'll find out if the crashes come back.

I've gathered more data on the sparc vnd failure (mentioned in 1.4.2 README)
and it really feels like a low-level state-trasher that shows up differently
(or not at all) in various environments. Maybe it is actually generic.

How did I build the final set of sparc boot floppies? I ran a long find in
another window, which took the bogus signal 27, and allowed the boot floppy
build to finish without croaking. Scary. At least it didn't crash the IPX,
because then I would have had to move its drive to the sparcbook again.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com