Subject: Re: USB ethernet performance
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/2000 00:27:37
Laine Stump wrote:

> Performance seems overly limited, however. I have the adapter plugged
> into a 10/100 hub (yes, its detected as 100, and ifconfig reports that
> too), and another NetBSD machine plugged into the same hub. When I run
> ttcp for 32Mbytes, between the USB ethernet and the other machine (which
> has a tlp card), I only get 415 KBytes/sec receive, or 460Kbytes/sec
> send.

USB has a 12 Mb/s link speed.  Taking all the protocol overheads into
account you can probably get something like 8 Mb/s of real data.  USB
is not the most efficient protocol.
8 Mb/s is still about twice as much as you are getting and the problem
is that the drivers have not been tuned at all.  It's really a two parts that
need improvement: the USB stack itself and the actual aue driver.
Maybe some day when I have plenty of time...

(A sure sign something needs tuning is the fact that using USB speakers
at the same time as the Ethernet card increases throughput. :)

--

        -- Lennart