Subject: Re: VIA MVP3 IDE controller support?
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@ip010160021130.nbtel.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2000 19:53:25
On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 01:12:48AM -0400, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> > Is it possible to get the dmesg ?
>
> Not that I can think of.. but basically with the pciide driver in the
> kernel it detects a wd1 and wd2 attached to wdc1, and attempts to access
> them seem to be what's preventing me from booting. If I disable the

This is exactly why I'd like to have the boot message: why did wdc1 get
ever attached ? It shoudn't have been.

> secondary IDE channel in the BIOS, the kernel panics just after it mounts
> the root fs with a message something like this:
> 	cnopen: cn_tab->cn_dev == NODEV

I think this is a different problem.

> I've since installed Linux on the box, but I'm willing to test kernels
> (I've got a spare drive I can install a minimal system on). The thing I

You could just try a boot floppy and get the /kern/msgbuf file on a usefull
media (you can use your network card, or mount an ext2fs partition).

> find interesting is that the only kernel that actually booted was a 1.4.2
> kernel from the 486 that this box replaced (read: no PCI support). When I
> boot Linux it mentions this:
>
> PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb1c0
> PCI: Using configuration type 1
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> PCI: 00:38 [1106/0586]: Work around ISA DMA hangs (00)
> Activating ISA DMA hang workarounds.
>
> I don't know, maybe it's a buggy chipset and needs special care?

I don't know about this one.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
     {Net,Free}BSD: 22 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference