Subject: Re: VIA MVP3 IDE controller support?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@ip010160021130.nbtel.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2000 01:12:48
> Is it possible to get the dmesg ?

Not that I can think of.. but basically with the pciide driver in the
kernel it detects a wd1 and wd2 attached to wdc1, and attempts to access
them seem to be what's preventing me from booting. If I disable the
secondary IDE channel in the BIOS, the kernel panics just after it mounts
the root fs with a message something like this:
	cnopen: cn_tab->cn_dev == NODEV

I've since installed Linux on the box, but I'm willing to test kernels
(I've got a spare drive I can install a minimal system on). The thing I
find interesting is that the only kernel that actually booted was a 1.4.2
kernel from the 486 that this box replaced (read: no PCI support). When I
boot Linux it mentions this:

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb1c0
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
PCI: 00:38 [1106/0586]: Work around ISA DMA hangs (00)
Activating ISA DMA hang workarounds.

I don't know, maybe it's a buggy chipset and needs special care?

Jared