Subject: panic: softdep_fsync: pending ops
To: NetBSD current-users <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/14/2000 10:12:15
Hello...

I am doing nightly builds of -current. For a few days now I get the panic:
softdep_fsync: pending ops. I have not changed the way I use my system,
therefor I am fairly sure that the changes that lead to this problem were
done in the last week. I haven't got a trace yet, but will do the next time
the problem occurs.

From the usage-pattern I would suspect, that the problem lies in the
combination of the softdep code with union mounts. As long as I work without
using the union mount (I have mounted a directory above my checked out copy
of the source tree to prevent writing to it) everything is ok. When I did
my last make build everything went fine as well, though the union mount was
used. But it seems that the problems start when I use files from the union
mount and from the rest of the filesystem. (No, I am not working on the same
files on different levels of the union mount.)

Perhaps even this short description rings a bell for someone and he knows where
to fix it. Otherwise I'll collect further data to provide a PR.

Bye,
Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke  <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
   Use PGP! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)