Subject: Re: USB Ethernet adapters (for Netpliance Iopener)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/2000 22:03:04
On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 12:03:29AM -0500, marcotte@panix.com wrote:

 > My company just bought 5 Netpliance Iopeners for use at shows. If they
 > come in less than a week and a half, we'll be able to show them running
 > NetBSD (current) at Lunacon this year (www.lunacon.org).
 >
 > Anyway,
 >
 > We want to run X11 on these using USB Ethernet adapters. Does anyone
 > have any opinions on which USB Ethernet adapter will give the best
 > performance under NetBSD-current? I know they're generally not as good
 > as PCI Ethernet cards, so I want to make I get the best one.

Are you going to be on a 100mbps network?  If so, look for adapters that
are supported by `aue' (look at the driver for the list).

If not, my bet is on the NetGear EA101 ... it's cheap, and works pretty
well ... it's the `kue' driver.

Note that there are really only 3 USB Ethernet variants, and all of them
within the same variant basically work the same.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>