Subject: Re: XFree 4.0
To: Markus Kurek <kurek@unidui.uni-duisburg.de>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/2000 21:33:53
Thus spake Markus Kurek
> "Jared D. McNeill" wrote:
> > On a side note, I was wondering if anybody ever had problems with it
> > killing the console on exit. It seems to happen to me when I shut down the
> > X server while there's heavy disk activity going on, the console doesn't
> > return to text mode and I'm left with an image of X on the screen. I can
> > login via ssh to the box and start X from there, and X still works but the
> > console never returns to its' state. I'm using the ati driver with a 2 meg
> > PCI ATI 3D Rage II+DVD.
>
> I have another problem on server exit. The console's font color is not
> restored propperly. The first time the white color turns to be dark
> grey,
> after the second server exit  I sit in front of a black console :(

Well, I have you all beat.  When I exit from my X session built from
current sources the system reboots.  The GUI locks up until the BIOS
startup so I can't see any error messages and there is no core dump.
Could all of these things be related somehow?

Note, this is the same problem I had back in January which I asked about
under "Subject: Unrelated (?) failures on a -current build" and which
cleared up by itself after building the system from a slightly later source.