Subject: Re: Netpliance Iopener booted with NetBSD...
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/2000 11:30:55
Did Andrew mention - the keyboards on these things even have a key labelled
"Pizza". What more could you ask for ;-)

At 10:56 AM 3/13/00 -0500, Jon Lindgren wrote:
>I just ordered one directly from the manufacturer
>(http://www.netpliance.com/ or such).  $138.95 with shipping.  Definitely
>worth it, if only for hack value.

You can also get them from Circuit City for $99 + tax. none of the CC's
have them in stock, but they'll let you special order them. The advantage
of this over ordering from NetPliance is that you don't have the danger of
getting signed up for the service, and also you don't have to pay the $40
shipping. On the down side, it may take longer (not sure)

I had ordered one on Saturday from the local CC (Somerville, MA), then
immediately went over this morning and ordered another after reading
Andrew's report.

The sad part is that the company is almost surely losing money for every
one they sell (and that this means the deal will probably be over soon,
when they realize their mistake and start requiring a signup for service as
part of the purchase, or alternately when they go belly up because their
business model is flawed). I wonder how much they'd have to sell them for
to make money (without their ISP)...