Subject: Re: hardware recommendations wanted
To: James Sharp , Jon Buller <jonb@paclink.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2000 02:40:30
On Jun 27,  3:53pm, James Sharp wrote:
}
} > IV  Get new machine to do NAT use the SMC EZ Card 10/100 that the cable
} >     installer left behind because I did almost all his work for him.
}
} This would be my recommendation....only put two NICs in the machine.  One
} internal, one external.

     I would agree with this.

} > Also, does the cable modem broadcast all my 10baseT traffic to the
} > neighborhood, or just the traffic between my single provided IPv4
} > address and their router?  If the former, I think I'd like a full
} > firewall to hide the local traffic...  (I guess a switched Ethernet
} > hub could do the job, but I suspect my 5 port $20 hub isn't up to
} > that task.) I could spend a few hundred on this, but I'd rather
} > keep the costs as low as possible right now.
}
} Most cable modem systems are shared media.  Think of it as one big piece
} of 10Base-2 coax.  Some cable providers program their modems to filter out
} simple stuff, like NetBIOS over IP...mainly to keep all the windows users
} from sniffing each other's shares.  But you can sit on your local cable
} modem and watch traffic from everyone else.

     Depends on the provider.  I use Shaw@Home, which uses Terayon
equipment.  With it, you can only see your traffic and broadcast
traffic.  I assume it filters based on MAC addresses.

}-- End of excerpt from James Sharp