Subject: Re: Install -current source on 1.4.1?
To: Leonard Sitongia <sitongia@uswest.net>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2000 21:40:21
On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Leonard Sitongia wrote:

> Is it necessary to install 1.4.2 via a snapshot prior to installing
> sources in order to track -current?

  If you want to track -current you don't want to install 1.4.2, you want
a snapshot of -current.  It looks like the 20000226 snapshot is the
latest.  Is this what you were trying?

> The latest two snapshots fail to install on my Toshiba Portege 3110
> because the base tarball fails to completely or correctly install, so
> the whole install aborts.

  What error message are you getting?  There was recently a discussion on
(I think) port-i386 about /tmp filling up with snapshot install floppies.
If this sounds like your error, you can either mount your disks before
starting the install and set TMPDIR to /mnt/tmp or you can just use the
install floppies from 1.4.2 or an earlier snapshot (though I don't know
which are affected).

> I had already installed 1.4.1, so if I could layer the -current sources
> on top of that, could I reach my goal?

  It is possible, but you almost certainly do not want to do it.  For one
thing, port-i386 changed from a.out to ELF after 1.4, so unless you really
want to upgrade from source for some reason, it is much easier to install
a snapshot.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net