Subject: Re: upgraded to -current! Now how to use a.out legacy?
To: David W. Talmage <talmage@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/09/2000 17:53:36
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, David W. Talmage wrote:

> How to I tell my -current box to use the a.out legacy libraries?  I have
> COMPAT_AOUT in my kernel.

  When you use an a.out binary, it first looks in the same path under
/emul/aout (/emul/aout/usr/lib, etc.) for the library to load.  If you
move the old libraries there, you can use your a.out applications.  You
should move your a.out packages there too (and add it to your path).

> I tried to start emacs and it complained about an a.out termcap or some
> such, so I uninstalled emacs and tried to rebuild it in pkgsrc only to
> discover that gmake no longer runs because of some a.out lib.

  Unfortunately, the package system can't really deal with the upgrade
dependencies.  So you will probably want to reinstall all of your packages
as soon as possible.  At least, you should move /var/db/pkg to emul/aout
too (and maybe keep a.out pkg_* under /emul/aout too to easily delete them
as you recompile them elf).  If you don't, then you end up with elf
binaries that don't work because a library in a package they depend on is
a.out.  When it only depends on the binary, you should be able to copy the
entry from /emul/aout/var/db/pkg to /var/db/pkg (at least I think that
should work) until you want to recompile.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net