Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress 16 cards
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/2000 12:03:40
In message <952262928.29971@maschndrohtzaun.emsi.priv.at>, you write:

-> | >These should be supported by the ix or iy driver, depending on whether
-> | >they're EE/16 or EE Pro 10 ISA. They suffer from the usual problem of
-> | >ISA cards that if they're not at the I/O address the kernel knows
-> | >about, they'll never be found.
->
->   Also note that the EE16 driver (ix) is very (*very*) picky
-> about the memory addresses and size. AFAIK you have to use
-> C000, C800, D000 or D800 with a memory size of 32K or the
-> card will not be probed successfully!

The cards will not work in 16K mode no matter what memory address you use
(there is a PR outstanding on this that I'd like someone with the power to
commit to look at before 1.5 -- I don't have the number off-handedly, but if
anyone is interested in furthering the cause, please send me email about it)
but with the fixes there applied I've used the cards at all sorts of memory
addresses succesfully.

Note that in 16K mode those cards map memory in a very strange way (read:
unknown to me, obviously not to the linux driver authors either, as their
driver uses PIO all the time), which means the driver has to resort to PIO
mode to transfer packets in/out of the shared memory.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                  rafal@mediaone.net