Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress 16 cards
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/2000 21:54:31
<daemon@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> (Bob Nestor) writes:

> A friend recently picked up a stack of Intel EtherExpress 16 cards at a
> flea market intending to use them with NetBSD/i386 and Windows-98/NT.
> The cards are listed as supported by NetBSD and they were found to be in
> working condition when tested with Windows-98.  However, the NetBSD-1.3,
> NetBSD-1.4.1, and -current kernels never see them.  Windows identifies
> the cards as "Intel EtherExpress 16 or 16Pro-Tx" cards.  They come with a
> 10Base-T and 15-pin female connector and fit into a half-height card
> slot.

These should be supported by the ix or iy driver, depending on whether
they're EE/16 or EE Pro 10 ISA. They suffer from the usual problem of
ISA cards that if they're not at the I/O address the kernel knows
about, they'll never be found. The GENERIC i386 kernel looks for ix at
port 300 and iy at port 360. Check under Windows and see where the
cards are.

Also, the iy needs to not be in ISA Plug-n-Play mode; we don't have an
isapnp driver for it.

        - Nathan