Subject: Re: Big problems with snapshot/20000226, part 1
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2000 10:48:19
> ----------
> From: 	Paul Hoffman[SMTP:PHOFFMAN@PROPER.COM]
> Sent: 	Thursday, March 02, 2000 7:48:19 PM
> To: 	tls@rek.tjls.com
> Cc: 	current-users@netbsd.org; mycroft@netbsd.org; tech-install@netbsd.org
> Subject: 	Re: Big problems with snapshot/20000226, part 1
> Auto forwarded by a Rule

At 01:40 PM 3/2/00 -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>A trivial workaround, though one I am hesitant to apply to the source tree,
>would be to have sysinst set the environment variable TMPDIR to "/mnt"
>before calling pax.

Why are you hesitant to apply it? Sounds reasonable to me. Or, create
/mnt/tmp (if it isn't already there) and set TMPDIR to /mnt/tmp.

>Another, related bug is that if you try to extract the sets by hand,
>from the floppy environment,

Which I did...

>  you have to be quite careful because pax-as-tar
>doesn't assume -p if you're running as root, as GNU tar does.  So, you must
>use 'tar xpzf ...' where with the old tar you could use 'tar xzf ...' to
>get the permissions right.

Given that there is no way for a typical person installing to know this,
I'd say that we might want to fix it as well. Can we tweak the pax-as-tar
on the floppy install to assume -p for root?