Subject: Re: Big problems with snapshot/20000226, part 2
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2000 14:33:30
On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 11:26:38AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Thanks, that helped, but not directly. After reading your message, I
> remembered that I had, in fact, done a complete 'sup' before doing the
> snapshot overlay. In single-user mode, making userland and the kernel
> worked just fine, and the next reboot had me up to date.
>
> I still think that we should have a clearly-documented method of going from
> 1.4.1 to -current that works.

I'm not sure I agree.  -current is not a release, it's not supported in many
of the ways that releases are, and, as we say over and over again, it may
be broken in arbitrary ways at any time.

Given those constraints, I'm not sure giving step-by-step instructions to
help the naive upgrade is the best idea in the world.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"