Subject: Big problems with snapshot/20000226, part 1
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2000 08:17:10
I made the floppies from the directory, booted, and started a clean install
using the default partitioning and just the non-X sets, getting them with
FTP. This is on a Pentium system with a 13 Gig hard drive. Towards the end
of the tar for base.tgz, it starts kicking out errors of not being able to
set the date and permissions on folders it is creating because / is full.
The directories it is complaining about are created, and they seem to have
perfectly reasonable times on them, but after the base.tgz untarring, it
says errors were encountered.

Even if I tell it to continue, the installer won't let me go beyond the
unpacking.

I went out to the shell and tried to do the tar by hand, and got the same
results. / is pretty full (like 98%). Here's the weird thing: I deleted
/sysinst and df *still* says that / is about 98% full, and the tar still
gets the same results.

Maybe the size of / needs to be made much larger. I don't know if this is
related to the size of my hard drive, but it definitely prevented the
installation from going forwards.