Subject: Re: Make install failure in -current (several places)
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2000 01:12:59
On Wed 01 Mar 2000 at 18:46:59 -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
> Even better yet, just install the latest binary snapshot, *then* start
> tracking -current. That's *much* easier than attempting to bootstrap from a
> significantly older version using only sources. And since a kind soul
> placed a new snapshot on the ftp site only 4 days ago, now is the perfect
> time to do it.

Not a VAX snapshot ;-) (nor Alpha).

And I'm trying to get a grip on the procedures involved, so it's not
really all too bad.

I must say that from 1.4.1 to -current (well a week ago now) on the
Alpha was pretty painless with Make build install. Not that I already
tried the resulting binaries, but it all looks ok ;-) There was some
feature skew with cc1 and make but not too bad. I suppose it helps that
the Alpha already is ELF ;-)

And on the VAX I use the snapshot from november and that didn't even the
aforementioned version skew so if I had just done the same as on the
Alpha it would have gone right the first time. But I thought to save a
step because the VAX is so much slower (it's been busy for 3 days now on
what the Alpha took only several hours).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)