Subject: 1.4T problems (ifconfig, ipnat)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2000 11:39:05
Hi, all. I just built 1.4T with yesterday's sources, and have noticed a few
problems:

1) ifconfig reports strangely on my external (dhcp-configured) interface:

ne0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:40:05:6a:5e:fe
        media: Ethernet autoselect (10baseT)
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255

The interface works, however, despite this, and despite the other error,
below.

2) I get a couple errors on startup.

I get a message from dhclient as I boot, saying something along the lines
of "ifconfig: can't set this address, inappropriate for family" or something
like that. That's not exactly it, but it doesn't seem to have gotten caught
in any logs, so I'll have to read it off my screen later. (The interface
is my external one, so I can't bounce it remotely... At least, I don't want
to... Heh.) I'll report back with the exact message as soon as I can get to
it.

3) As other folks have reported, ipnat fails.

I'm assuming that this is caused by the same thing as the weird ifconfig
report, above, and I'm going to dig into it when I get a chance.

My kernel has the following stuff:

options         GATEWAY         # packet forwarding
options         INET            # IP + ICMP + TCP + UDP
#options        INET6           # IPV6
#options        IPSEC           # IP security
#options        IPSEC_ESP       # IP security (encryption part; define w/IPSEC)
#options        IPSEC_DEBUG     # debug for IP security

ipf seems to be working correctly, for what it's worth, and my kernel matches
my userland.

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  only stand on waves.