Subject: Re: Make install failure in -current (several places)
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2000 12:46:11
On Wed 01 Mar 2000 at 22:17:38 +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
> I think I missed the start of this thread - from which directory do
> you run "make release" in?  To build pmax releases and snapshots, I do
> little more than:

I did a Make -k install from /usr/src (well, /vol1/rhialto/sup/root/src,
but ok) with the Make script as below. The build-release.html page
suggests I can do a make install directly, but I see that that omits the
building of internal libraries, header files and helper programs that
are not to be installed, but are required for building.

Examples are audio, amd, uucp, backgammon, ypserv (there are some more,
I left my list at home).

Also, in one of these directories (usr.sbin/ypserv), I didn't get
obj.vax symlinks, but I did have obj.alpha symlinks. In both cases I had
done a make obj before, but in the alpha case I had done a separate make
build before a make install.

For now, I am rerunning a make build (without removing the old results),
since the make install finished now, and never made or installed
$DESTDIR/usr/libexec/cc1 (and who knows what else).

# From http://www.netbsd.org/developers/releng/build-release.html

export MACHINE_ARCH=`uname -m`
# # The location of your source tree.
export BSDSRCDIR=/vol1/rhialto/sup/root/src
# # The location of the object files produced by the build.
export BSDSOBJIR=/vol1/rhialto/obj
# # For the initial build, which doesn't include those crypto
# # files which may not be exported from the US and Canada.
# EXPORTABLE_SYSTEM=1
# # These two aren't really necessary; they just make life
# # easier if/when you rebuild later.
export BUILD=1
export UPDATE=1
#
# # The following variables must be set in the environment;
# # /etc/mk.conf will not do!
#
# # Where the installed files go.
if [ "$DESTDIR" = "" ]
then
    export DESTDIR=/vol1/rhialto/destdir.${MACHINE_ARCH}
fi
# # Where the release goes (in release(7) format, of course).
# RELEASEDIR=/usr/home/cjs/netbsd/release
export RELEASEDIR=/vol1/rhialto/release.${MACHINE_ARCH}

make=/usr/bin/make
if [ -x $DESTDIR/$make ]; then
    make=$DESTDIR/$make
    echo "Using make=$make"
fi
if [ -x $DESTDIR/usr/bin/cc ]; then
    export CC=${DESTDIR}/usr/bin/cc
    export CXX=${DESTDIR}/usr/bin/c++
    echo "Using cc=$CC"
fi
# gcc will simply not use this if it's not there:
# (and it will strip a trailing slash for some weird
# reason - as you can see by running gcc -v -print-search-dirs c.c
export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=${DESTDIR}/usr/libexec//
#export CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -B$GCC_EXEC_PREFIX"
#export CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -B$GCC_EXEC_PREFIX"
# Use newly built system libraries:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${DESTDIR}/usr/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
# Use newly built system programs: ??
# export PATH="${DESTDIR}/bin:${DESTDIR}/sbin:${DESTDIR}/usr/bin:${DESTDIR}/usr/sbin:${PATH}"

exec $make -m $BSDSRCDIR/share/mk  "$@"

> Simon.
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)