Subject: Re: Make install failure in -current (several places)
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2000 22:17:38
Olaf Seibert wrote:

> and it builds the whatis database before it has installed all manpages
> (it still hasn't built the compiler at that time, and who knows what
> else)...
>
> So basically, the instructions on
> http://www.netbsd.org/developers/releng/build-release.html (which I'm
> following) are wrong. It seems one needs to do an explicit make build
> before make install and/or make release, otherwise things go very
> wrong... which is bad because the make install tends to touch all
> libraries and therefore re-link everything (somebody has already filed a
> pr on that).

I think I missed the start of this thread - from which directory do
you run "make release" in?  To build pmax releases and snapshots, I do
little more than:

	setenv DESTDIR /somewhere/destdir
	setenv RELEASEDIR /somewhere/releasedir
	setenv UPDATE 1
	rm -rf $DESTDIR $RELEASEDIR
	mkdir $DESTDIR $RELEASEDIR
	cd /usr/src
	make cleandir
	make release
	copy $RELEASEDIR to the ftp site.

The "little more" usually involves releases note, testing, etc but what
is in $RELEASEDIR is usually right.

The UPDATE variable will reduce the number of things that get recompiled
and should improve build times no end.  Because of UPDATE, you need
the separate "make cleandir" - hmm, maybe we should have two variables
controlling update vs. cleandir behaviour...

Simon.