Subject: Aviator2.4 firmware version 5 vs. ray driver
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2000 00:49:17
(Actually, I guess throw Windows in there somewhere too :) I've upgraded
the firmware in both of my Aviator2.4 cards, since apparently, the
Windows 2000 driver needs it... so now I've got:

ray0 at pcmcia0 function 0: WebGear, PC Card WLAN Adapter, Version 5.63 May 1999
ray0: firmware version 5
ray0: supported rates 2:3:0:0:0:0:0:0
ray0: 802.11 address 00:00:f1:11:80:ae

(same for the other card, except for the 802.11 address)

However, NetBSD no longer interoperates with Windows (if both sides are
running NetBSD, or both are running Windows, everything works fine). It
seems like Windows can't hear or understand the packets from the NetBSD
machine. tcpdump on NetBSD shows that Windows is sending an arp who-has
asking for NetBSD's MAC address. NetBSD sends the reply, but Windows
doesn't get it.

I've got LINK0 on the NetBSD side, but I did try it with LINK0 off, in
which case tcpdump showed the incoming packets okay, but couldn't
interpret the outgoing packets and just showed them as a hex dump (that
doesn't sound right to me...)

Also, the Windows driver has a setting for "Framing Mode", with
Translation and Encapsulation as the two choices and Translation being
the default. The docs say to use Translation in Ad Hoc mode, and to ask
the network administrator which to use if there's an access point. I
tried changing it to Encapsulation, but that didn't seem to change
anything.

So, any ideas? :) I don't have a packet sniffer for Windows, so I can't
tell what's going on on that end... I'll try to look for a downloadable
one though.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 24 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++