Subject: Re: 'readline.h' not installed
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/2000 18:32:44
> Exactly. Everything will be under $DESTDIR. I actually don't do
> non-DESTDIR builds. :-) Among other things, you're less likely to have a
> build corrupt your system. Since your main headers aren't touched, if
> there's a problem with the new stuff, they are unaffected.

This is one catch to DESTDIR builds: if something has been changed that is
part of the build system itself, you may have to manually build and install
it (without DESTDIR) before you can continue.

AFAIK there is no general solution to the problem (which is also an issue for
cross-builds) except to instate a very disciplined procedure for making
incompatible changes to how the system is built, that everyone must obey.

> make release			or
> make snapshot
>
> The tar balls and install kernels and boot floppies will then get built,
> and put in RELEASEDIR (in the format you see on the ftp server :-)

Mostly. I've discovered that on quite a few ports the logic is not all there,
so some things will be missing, or not quite in release(7) format. Expect to
see some improvement shortly after the 1.4.2 release unless someone beats me
to it.

> > Is the 'xsrc' tree handled in the same way for build and creating the
> > distrib files?

Pretty much. xsrc/Makefile is pretty straightforward, it should be clear
what's going on in there after a couple readings.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com