Subject: Re: softdep and memory...?
To: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@marconicomms.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/2000 10:31:54
On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 02:00:53PM +0100, Guenther Grau wrote:

> Did you enable softdeps again after that?

No... I'm going to update my sources today and build a new kernel, though,
to see how that runs this evening, complete with softdeps on at least a
couple filesystems. When I saw the crashing last night, I had softdep
enabled on *all* my filesystems, including /.

> What sort of tests did you run?

I don't remember the name of the program, but it did a lot of tests, and it
did stuff with the CPU cache alternately enabled and disabled.

I haven't been able to pound on the system a lot yet, but I'll be doing that
today with builds and stuff.

> IIRC, there are special free mem testtools that you're supposed to run for
> about a day or so.

The one I used went for nine hours without error - that was as long as I could
stand being without my system.

> Memory has always been one of the weaker parts of PCs. ECC memory
> helps a lot, but it's d*mn expensive.

Yeah. This stuff is plan vanilla. It's a name-brand motherboard, though
- DFI - and it seems solid thus far.

I'll report back if I encounter any weird errors, and I'll report back with
results from running a new kernel regardless.

--
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  They also surf who
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  only stand on waves.