Subject: Re: ^W killed my line
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/2000 13:41:27
On Tue 29 Feb 2000 at 00:27:53 -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I think you're hung up on the idea that the tty driver should be the one
> and only king of input editing.

Exactly. That's what the tty driver is for. To provide a consistent way
to input one's text to programs (and correct it). That can be configured
in a single place. That works for all programs, even those that don't
include specific support for it. That has no unneeded code duplication.

AmigaOS got all of that right. The CON: console windows (yes, opening a
file opens a new window for you) do command line editing, history and
file name completion for applications (when in cooked mode). No need for
any text application to reinvent the wheel. And if you don't like the
default CON: system, you can replace it too.

And, as der Mouse suggested, using a userland program to do this (with
ptys for instance) is also a good idea. I can think of fep and screen
which do this sort of thing (although screen has command line editing in
some form, I found it too difficult to use, probably because it is not
the main focus of screen).

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder.ubc.     -- If one tells the truth,
\X/ .kun.nl     -- one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out. (Oscar Wilde)