Subject: Re: wireless / dhcp
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/2000 01:20:38
> The DHCP client and server currently ignore all interfaces that don't
> advertise IFF_BROADCAST.   The union of all interfaces that could
> reasonably claim IFF_BROADCAST and all interfaces that could
> reasonably claim IFF_PHYSICAL sounds like it's the set of interfaces
> the DHCP client ought to configure.

...by default. :-)  I trust you will agree that if it's explicitly told
to configure, or ignore, particular interfaces, it should configure, or
ignore, those interfaces, regardless of what flag bits they may or may
not have set.  (Mmm, I'm not as familiar with DHCP as I'd like.
Doesn't it require the ability to send out "unusual" datagrams of some
sort?  Then it would perforce be restricted to interfaces capable of
that....)

> I will admit that who should claim IFF_PHYSICAL is questionable, but
> none of the devices with which we're having problems should, nor
> would ppp, physical or no, claim IFF_BROADCAST.

This sounds as though you mean "intersection" rather than "union"
above...?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca