Subject: Re: pkg system format change
To: None <pappires@coppe.ufrj.br>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2000 05:11:38
> After I sup'ed on Feb 07, I started to get messages like the one below
> from making anything from pkgsrc:
>
> WARNING: Unknown object format for installed package unzip-* -
> continuing
>
> What was changed in the pkg system?

To quote from the blurb on netbsd-announce...

Changes to the Packages Collection in January 2000.

Finally, please note that you may see unusual messages complaining
about there being an "unknown object format" in an existing package.
This has been added because NetBSD in general, and the i386 port in
particular, is transitioning towards an ELF object format, and you
will run into problems if you attempt to link an ELF object with an
a.out library.  Since 29th September 1999, the type of object format
has been recorded in the build information, which can be shown using
the

	pkg_info -B <pkgname>

If the package was installed from a pkgsrc before 29th September 1999,
then no object information type will be stored in the build
information for the package, and you will see a warning message.  This
can be turned off using the WARN_NO_OBJECT_FMT definition in
/etc/mk.conf.

Regards,
Alistair