Subject: Re: replacing nvi with vim (Was: Re: vi update?)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2000 01:46:52
In message <Pine.NEB.4.05.10002210033470.25884-100000@audrey.Ivy.NET>, Miles No
rdin writes:
>BTW I was thinking, there are probably a lot of Linux users who get angry
>when they type 'vi' and don't get 'vim'.  It's not so much bad as, just,
>not vi.  For example, I miss that unlimited-undoo feature.

nvi has it.

>I'm totally with you on principle-of-least-surprise, though.

nvi's unlimited undo does this much better.  Any experienced 'vi' user
will expect 'uu' to undo and redo.  nvi does it right; the only way to
get into 'infinite undo' is 'u.', which you would never type in old vi,
because 'uu' would be 'undo and redo', and 'undo this and do it somewhere
else' requires an intermediate motion command.

-s