Subject: Re: vi update?
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2000 10:19:22
On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Rick Kelly wrote:

# I downloaded nvi-1.79 yesterday from www.bostic.com. It appears to have
# the usual Berkeley license. It comes with a stripped-down version of
# Berkeley db 1.85. And it compiles and works out of the box.

So what's the deal with db1 vs db2?  db is Berkeley DB, so what's going
on?  Is it GPL'd or is it so ridiculously restrictive on terms that it
won't be useful to aught but the Original Berkeley Folks [TM]?
I've seen some stuff go by on that, but I think I've deleted them.

If it's GPLd, nothing wrong with pkgizing it and making it available.
If it's SRROT in spite of being a Berkeley thing, well, shame on them!
[and, in that case, anyone want to try for a free-release codger of
what would then be db3? :-)]

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: We Come In Peace.