Subject: Re: I must be doing something wrong...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/2000 10:44:20
On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Peter Seebach wrote:

> In message <20000217233855.C19480@realms.nimenees.com>, erh@nimenees.com writes
> :
> >	hmm... as for the files getting updated in the domestic tree.
> >I guess make remembers where it found a file in the search path and sends
> >the output there.  Adding NOPATH also tells it to stay in the current
> >directory so output object files go there.
>
> Oh, very interesting.  So, the problem is that the '_pic.a' -> '.so'
> conversion doesn't know to use the path, otherwise, it would have Just Worked.

You can turn the phrase around and say that the _pic.a -> .so conversion
is designed to work with not-pathed variables. Not having a NOPATH in
there is wrong in this case. :-)

I think it's much better to in general not PATH in .o's.

:-)

The reason thinks started working after you removed the obj dir is that
you probablty touched some file along the way which made the other _pic.a
an out-of-date file, so a new one got made in your current directory,
which the _pic.a -> .so conversion used.

Take care,

Bill