Subject: Re: vi update?
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freebsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2000 13:59:55
In message <200002161953.MAA00890@caspian.plutotech.com>, "Justin T. Gibbs" wri
tes:
>The SleepyCat license on newer versions of nvi has prevented FreeBSD
>from upgrading.  I would guess that NetBSD would find the new license
>unacceptable as well.

Huh.  I thought 1.79 predated sleepycat; I know I got my first version of it
years back.

Hmm.  Looking at the source tree that's in BSDI's contrib source directory,
all I see is the standard Berkeley license with the advertising clause still
in it.  It does have a Copyright attributed to Sleepycat software, but nothing
saying you can't copy it.

Oh, very interesting!  The copy on the Sleepycat page has very different terms
listed.

So, I wonder if I can redistribute the copy in my BSDI distribution, which
doesn't seem to have the same restrictions.  Heh.  I suppose that'd be rude,
but so far as I can tell, the sleepycat restrictions aren't present in this
distribution.  I know they weren't in the version of 1.79 I had way back when,
during the Dark Ages when I worked at Xerox.

-s