Subject: Re: Tangent: Current-kernel revision naming...
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2000 18:43:06
> >when you see things like 1.4.2_ALPHA or whatever it was (which you
> >probably _have_ seen recently, that does _not_ indicate a secondary
> >branch off of the release branch (any more than 1.4_ALPHA or whatever
> >would indicate a secondary branch off the release branch that was just
> >created to become 1.4_ALPHA 8-).
>
> i only ask because i remember 1.4_ALPHA, but i only ever considered it
> a predecessor to 1.4 (-release), and the page mentions somethine
> called "NetBSD-1.3alpha" and then a "NetBSD-1.3beta" and then there's
> a nice bend.  :)
>
> otoh, maybe the bend's just there to emphasize the fact that
> 1.3(-release) was getting further and further away from 1.3[ABCD].

yeah, pretty much.

looking at the picture on
http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html (and excluding the
dashed arrows if you're inclined to include them 8-), the cvs tree
branched for the 1.3* family of releases exactly where the tree in the
picture forks (i.e., in exactly one place, after 1.2<whatever>).

cgd