Subject: Re: JFS
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2000 10:34:54
Miles Nordin writes:
> ex., one such idea:
>
>  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/1999/05/24/0013.html
>
> I haven't answered your question.  The old thread will tell you that LFS
> is used in the NetApp, so this will give you some idea what
> speed/reliability goals are attainable by the original LFS code, given a
> bit of funded development on NetApp's part.

I don't think that's corrent. As far as I am aware, NetApp's WAFL is
not an enhanced 4.4BSD LFS. WAFL *does* have a transaction log, but
that's to non-volatile RAM which is then applied against the buffers
and written out in an optimised way to take advantage of free chunks
of disk near the current disk head position.

You can find more info about WAFL at:
	http://www.netapp.com/tech_library/3001.html
and other Tech Reports on NetApp's site.