Subject: Re: mountd won't export /var/mail
To: <>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/2000 16:49:02
On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Todd Vierling wrote:

# On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Greywolf wrote:
#
# *ALMOST* everything here is consistent.  -alldirs is only on things that are
# actually fstab partitions, and nearly all of the exports are actually mount
# points.
#
# However, /export is the only mount point for all of /export, /export/X11,
# and /export/local; likewise, /usr is the only mount point for both /usr and
# /usr/share.  The problem is that these groups don't have the same export
# options.
#
# While it may sound insane, multiple directories under one mount point
# _must_be_exported_with_precisely_the_same_hosts_and_options_.  I know this
# deficiency has been pointed out before, and it is not one I know how to fix.
# Why this manifests as an error on a _different_ /etc/exports line in the
# error message is beyond me.

#
# Please change the following in the old exports setup as below, and let me
# know if it works.  If so, feel free to file a PR with the additional
# information above, requesting that nfs be fixed to allow different export
# options on different subdirectories.
#
# 	/usr/share	defender.starwolf.com
# 	/export		-maproot=0 defender.starwolf.com

This did not work.

However, changing it to the following DOES work:

/usr/share	-maproot=0 defender.starwolf.com
/var/mail	-maproot=0 defender.starwolf.com
/export/X11	-maproot=0 defender.starwolf.com
/usr/src	defender.starwolf.com
/export/local	-maproot=0 defender.starwolf.com
/usr/src/local	defender.starwolf.com
/holt		defender.starwolf.com

However, if either /usr/share or /var/mail are different, multiple things
blow up.

/var/mail lives on /var and is not a symlink elsewhere.  Ditto /usr/share.
According to all premises of exported filesystems, something is still
broken.

And it should NOT be required in any particular order.  That this is
so is just nuts.  I don't know just what's going on.

For some reason, the mount_export() in mountd returns EPERM after the
mount_unexport().  This indicates to me that something is pointing to
the wrong place, either in the kernel or in mountd.c (and I cannot
yet determine which).

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: demonic power.