Subject: gcore! Where'd it go? ...and docs for procfs?
To: BSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2000 14:22:15
I haven't had call to use gcore for over twelve years now.
Imagine my surprise when I found that NetBSD does not have such a program
in its core tree!

I have a locked tape drive now (which may have been fixed by a reboot
by the time some of you read this) -- there is a dump process keeping the
tape drive open, but it's waiting for a return from the drive.
[SPARCstation IPX, EXB-8200 rev 263H].  I'm trying to convince the process
that it can go away now.  Since it's in 'DL' state (dev wait, pages
locked in core -- presumably buffers), it refuses to even acknowledge
the presence of a signal.

Is there anything I can do?

Oh, and is there documentation anywhere regarding what each of the
entries in /proc/PID/ are supposed to be (and how to access them)?

I'm trying to force something in this process to trigger so that it will
blow up and go away.

...this is hopeless, isn't it?

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Don't login as root, use the su command.