Subject: Re: PPP funnies
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2000 13:51:40
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Julian Coleman wrote:

> I'm sometimes seeing odd behaviour when I run PPP.  When I start PPP, the
> chat script sometimes fails because it gets no response from the modem.
> If I run PPP again, it always works second time.

I've seen that enough times, that I always have the chat script bang
on the serial port a couple of times, like so...

TIMEOUT 10
''      AT
OK-AT-OK        'AT&FE0&C1&D0 L1W2'
TIMEOUT 100
OK		'ATDT...

and so on. This way, it never fails.

> When PPP finishes (killed or timeout), the ip-down script gets
> stuck :
>
>   UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT TT       TIME COMMAND
>     0 10322 10306   0   3  0   496  152 ttyopn Is   ??    0:00.12 /bin/sh /etc/ppp/ip-down ppp0 /dev/ttya 38400 IP1 IP2

I haven't seen that, but the only ip-down I use puts the wwwoffle
proxy offline--nothing that tries to access the serial port.