Subject: PPP funnies
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2000 19:33:35
I'm sometimes seeing odd behaviour when I run PPP.  When I start PPP, the
chat script sometimes fails because it gets no response from the modem.
If I run PPP again, it always works second time.  When PPP finishes (killed
or timeout), the ip-down script gets stuck :

  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT TT       TIME COMMAND
    0 10322 10306   0   3  0   496  152 ttyopn Is   ??    0:00.12 /bin/sh /etc/ppp/ip-down ppp0 /dev/ttya 38400 IP1 IP2

The two problems aren't necessarily related (i.e. if ip-down is stuck, the
next PPP doesn't always fail).

This is with a modem on the builtin serial ports on a sparc.  It's possible
that the same problem affects ISDN4BSD on the atari.

Anyone else see this?

Thanks,

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/