Subject: Re: how to install staroffice 5.1 (sun)
To: Chan Yiu Wah <c5666305@hkstar.com>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2000 12:02:58
At 09:45 AM 2/13/00 -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
>In message <Pine.SOL.4.10.10002132037150.14490-100000@imsp234.hkstar.com>,
Chan
> Yiu Wah writes:
>>I had donwload the files (7) of sun staroffice 5.1a from sun web site.
>>However, I don't know how to install it under
>>/usr/pkgsrc/editors/staroffice5.  Any one know how to install it ?
>
>I did pretty well putting the downloaded file (just the 'so51...tar') in
>distfiles, and running "make".

Unfortunately, the pkgsrc Makefile expects you to have the "one big piece"
single tarfile, and doesn't recognize the 7 pieces. TO top that off, after
over a dozen tries and several days, I was unable to get the entire one
piece tarfile from Sun. In the end, I untarred all 7 files, tarred them
back up into a single file of the correct name, and ran the make install
with the option telling it to ignore the tarfile checksum (since it was
different than expected)(I forget the name of the option, but I think it
tells you when you try to run make the first time).

It really would be nice if the Makefile was made to recognize the 7-piece
tarfile set as well as the single piece. It seems to be incredibly
difficult to get an entire 70MB file from Sun (at least through my cable
modem connection, which does seem to do fine otherwise).

In the end, though, it *still* didn't work for me, as the StarOffice setup
program repeatedly dumped core (exactly as it had done when I tried
installing manually). In the end I gave up again. (Yes, I've checked kernel
options, etc.) I'ts been a few weeks now, so I suppose I should try again...