Subject: Re: "Don't login as root, use the su command."
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2000 22:26:47
(I browse this list on the web archives (shudder), so keeping everyone on
the happy CC list doesn't work out too well...(^&)

My thoughts:

 * How about the warning is only placed if you install with sysinst?
   It seems that many of the more experienced users say that they use
   sysinst for (at most) setting up the drive, but do the installs by
   hand.  Something like:  If ``root-login'' file exists, and user did
   not get here via su, ``cat root-login''.  root-login, then, contains
   the message about logging in as root.

 * The current message may be a little cryptic.  However, the suggested
   replacements are, frankly, a little fluffy.  (I tend towards verbosity,
   myself.  I know.  I'll keep chucking stones until every last pane in
   my house is broken...(^&)  They also use the passive voice.  ``It is
   suggested that...''  ``...is not recommended.''

   I would suggest that the editorial ``we'' makes sense here:

   We suggest not logging in as root.  We suggest instead creating a
   non-root account and using the su(1) command, or installing sudo from
   pkgsrc(8), for administrative tasks.  Root slips shink ships.
                                          --The Daemons in the Machine.

I believe that the active voice makes it a little more definite.

Well, that's probably all that I'll have to say on this thread.  (^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com