Subject: Re: "Don't login as root, use the su command."
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2000 13:21:28
David Brownlee writes:
> 	I'd like to change this mesage in root's .login to make it clearer
> 	what is going on.
>
> 	What do people think of:
>
> Creation of a non root account and use of su(1) for root access is recommended.
>
> 		David/absolute

Ok, I'm nitpicking here, but the message is irritating, particularly when
you use 'su -l' instead.  I can easily change this. (on *every* machine)
My main problem is that this doesn't make any sense for less knowledgeable
users (that are root, *shudder*) who think they're doing the right thing.

I don't know how many times I've heard, "What's this about use 'su' instead
of logging is as root?  I was using su."

Minor thing, but seems bad to then "clarify" the message to be even more
wrong. :-) (e.g. wrong on both counts. I was non-root, and I did use su(1))

Just my 2/100th of the new US Dollar coin.. :-)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.