Subject: Re: ot: rescan of scsi bus
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/2000 19:08:03
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, der Mouse wrote:

> > But you really should NOT [hot-swap SCSI]

> What sort of hardware damage is at risk,

You can burn out the termination power fuse(s) in any devices supplying
termination power, for one thing.  I burned out the fuse in a disk once
doing just this.

However, the risk of catastrophe almost makes it _more_ fun. If you don't
have hotswap toys, scsictl rescan is still good for scanners and cd
copy^Wpublishing devices that you forgot to turn on before you booted.

--
Miles Nordin / v:+1 720 841-8308 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US