Subject: Re: compile-time linker still doesn't detect missling shared library references?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/2000 11:05:25
> 02:10 [10] $ cc -o hello-lwrap hello.c -lwrap
> /usr/lib/libwrap.so: undefined reference to `allow_severity'
> /usr/lib/libwrap.so: undefined reference to `deny_severity'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I'd rather see this fixed than not (i.e. don't require references to
> library global declarations unless library objects are referenced).

Unfortunately that is fundamentally incompatible with our shared
library scheme.  With .a libraries, the linker can pick and choose what
.o files it brings in.  With .so libraries, it's the whole library or
nothing.  You'd have to redesign shared libraries so as to avoid this
before you're likely to fix this.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca