Subject: Re: Toshiba laptop wedging hard on disk activity.
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2000 17:18:35
On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 10:38:53AM +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
> Yes, I had another look at found that wdc_exec_command is not called
> in many places at all :-(  I cannot see why the drive should be
> wedging the machine at all.  I am starting to think that the drive
> firmware has a bug that is crashing it just on the basis that the
> drive shuts down totally when the machine hangs.  I am getting close
> to going back to the 410 I had before at least the HD on that was
> reliable and there was no weird blue flicker in X :-(

Do you have any power management enabled for this drive ? Could you try
to disable it ?
This behavior looks familiar, this week-end I tried a drive which
doesn't work with my Promise atapter, it spins down when the Promise's firmware
probes it. It works more-or-less properly when connected to a PIIX3 ...