Subject: ahc(4) vs DVD ioctls in syssrc/sys/dev/scsipi/cd.c
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/2000 13:31:58
I have two types of DVD RAM drive: Toshiba SD-W1101 and a
Panasonic LF-D100.  These drives behave well as storage
devices; pax interoperates with them just beautifully, and
I can use dd(1) to move ISO file systems onto them just fine.

However, the is a weirdness with the DVD ioctls.  Both types
of drive behave well on an aic(4) controller, and at least the
Panasonic behaves well on an isp(4) controller.  However, neither
drive works when attached to an ahc(4) (Adaptec 2940UW).

When I run Charles Hannum's port of livid's tstdvd program
on a DVD RAM drive on an ahc(4), I see the following:

cd0(ahc0:2:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0xa3 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 01 00
	SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
	ASC/ASCQ:  Invalid Field In Parameter List

just after the DVD_HOST_SEND_CHALLENGE step.

Also, running "dvdinfo" hangs the bus.

I would love to have the DVD-RAMs on the Adaptec controllers,
so if anyone has ideas on how to go about debugging this,
I am all ears.

	Sean.