Subject: "undefined PLT symbol" in gimp-current (and other places)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2000 23:40:01
Hi

I'm having some trouble with running some packages I built with a
recent current (1.4P and 1.4R) system. I did "make build" and "make
install" the complete system (after installing a 1.4P snapshot) from
1.4R sources, and (of course) also installed new kernel.

When building certain programs, running them or loading modules fails
with messages of the kind: 'undefined PLT symbel "<some_symbol>"
(reloc type = 7, symnum = <some number>'

The examples I encountered so far are:

(from pkgsrc:)

- gimp-current (crashes at startup after cheking all its plug-ins

- the php3_pgsql and php3_mysql Apache modules (interestingly, the
  perl module and the base php3 module get loaded without problem)

(from normal source archives:)
- the Utah-glx module for XFree-3.3.x, built with Mesa-3.1.
  (http://utah-glx.sourceforge.net/)

Am I missing something, or is something wrong with my compiler or
system setup? What could I do about it?

I know I shouldn't complain about broken things when running -current,
and most of the time it just runs fine and stable, and most
imporantly, it runs StarOffice :)

But is this problem known to anyone who know how to (hopefully) fix
it? Should I send-pr? (I don't even know _where_ the problem really
is, but suspect something in the compiler and/or linker)

Regards,

	Bernd

--
Bernd Sieker