Subject: New (serious) Samba Problem (Was: Re: FIXED Re: Samba
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2000 17:22:40
(Damn! This is *exactly* what I was afraid would happen. Serves me right
for putting -current on my main machine...)

I just downgraded from Samba 2.0.6 to 2.0.3 (by doing pkg_delete, then "cvs
update -D'180 days ago'" in /usr/pkgsrc/net/samba before doing another make
install). My problems have *not* gone away. As a matter of fact, I found I
have the same problem when Win95 is the client (initially I only tried it
on WinNT).

So we have a very strange problem:

      NetBSD-current-mid-December
    + Samba 2.0.3
    + WinXX running MSVC++ 6.0
    -----------------------------
    works!

      NetBSD-current-20000202
    + Samba 2.0.3
    + WinXX running MSVC++ 6.0
    -----------------------------
    causes *client* to crash (reliably) during build

You'll notice that the only variable there is NetBSD. (and unfortunately I
don't have any simple way to revert back to the older NetBSD, which makes
life very difficult for me, since my paying job involves lots of software
being compiled with MSVC++ 6.0)

Copying files works just fine, it's only (so far) doing a "build all" in VC
that causes it.

So how do we debug a problem like this? Apparently there's some bogus data
getting sent to the client, which it doesn't handle at all gracefully. Does
*anyone* have an idea where to start? Can anyone else reproduce this problem?