Subject: Re: DDB vs Freeze
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/28/2000 11:57:42
In message <200001281434.OAA23263@orchard.arlington.ma.us>Bill Sommerfeld write
>DDB should just be bypassed when a graphics console is in graphics
>mode and wscons doesn't know how to drop it back to text mode..  we
>should go straight to a crash dump (which *does* work when you're in
>graphics mode..)

OK, so for i386 (or other VGA h/w) users who want DDB and X, why not
compile in rcons-style software-blit tty emulation, and have DDB use
that, rather than VGA hardware text modes?

(At some point the kernel would have to check whether VGA h/w is in
text mode or graphics mode, but the X server can tell the kernel that
when it starts and exits. I guess "VGA" really includes EGA, MGA,
(PC-weasles?)  etc.,-- whatever XFree86 supports.)

Am I missing somthing obvious? Apart from the code bloat?