Subject: Re: i386 1.4Q hangs nonrandomly?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ethan Solomita <ethan@geocast.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/2000 02:25:08
maximum entropy wrote:

> The system happily chugged away for about 3 hours like this, then
> locked up solid.
>
> I'm totally out of ideas now...

	I haven't been following all of this conversation, but there's
something I'm working on which is probably worth mentioning. There is a
soft updates "livelock" under heavy use for which I'll be submitting a
fix soon. The main symptom is that the disk light will stay on, since
the disk is being continuously written to, yet no forward progress is
being made and the livelock never ends.

	I realize that isn't the explanation for all of this, but it seems like
this discussion has encompassed more than one bug, and I expect that I'm
not the only one who has suffered with the livelock bug.
	-- Ethan