Subject: Re: i386 1.4Q hangs nonrandomly?
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/2000 08:10:37
--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 06:17:18AM -0500, maximum entropy wrote:

> The recent changes to ld.elf_so enable dynamic loading of different
> shared libraries based on kernel sysconf variables.
>=20
> The file /usr/src/etc/etc.i386/ld.so.conf contains:
> libm.so.0       machdep.fpu_present     1:libm387.so.0,libm.so.0

Hm... My /etc tends to lag far behind my binary stuff, and I'm not actually
using this file...

Anyway, my CPU is an AMD K6-2. It shows npx as existing:

npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0-0xff: using exception 16

> As far as I can remember, I began experiencing these weird crashes
> around the same time as I installed that file into /etc.

I've definitely not mangled /etc recently, so I don't think that's it, at
least in my case.

Trying 1.4.1 ought to be instructive... I've got a disk ready for it, and
I get the errors pretty early on, depending on what I'm doing, so I'd ought
to be able to see something substantive by tonight.

--=20
   Mason Loring Bliss   mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us              E w i g=
awake ? sleep : dream;  http://acheron.ne.mediaone.net  B l u m e n k r a f=

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr