Subject: Re: i386 1.4Q hangs nonrandomly?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/2000 08:04:02
--3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 06:31:27PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> It's likely the problem: note that there is only one bit which changes,
> always at the same adress.

Hm... I've now seen that problem at several addresses, as it turns out.

However, here's a bit of new data:

I ran that memory tester Entropy suggested for just shy of nine solid hours,
and it didn't find a single problem. It looks pretty thorough, and I'm going
to trust it for the moment.

My next step will involve installing 1.4.1 on a currently-spare hard disk
and seeing if that sees the same problem. It's conceivable that it's bad
RAM causing the freelist notices and the crashing under load, but it's
seeming to be less likely now. <boggle>

FWIW, the URL Entropy gave me, from which I got the tool:

http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/

--=20
    Mason Loring Bliss  mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  If a cow laughed, w=
ould