Subject: Re: sh problem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/2000 18:03:53
>> sh:   ! ( echo hello | grep h ); echo $?

>      The format for a pipeline is:
>            [!] command1 [| command2 ...]
> It isn't clear to me what ! should do with the exit status of a
> subshell -

It seems clear to me.  ! ( cmd1 | cmd2 ) is a pipeline with the !
marker and only one command in it, that command being a pipeline with
parens around it...so ! should treat the exit status of the subshell
the same way it would the exit status of any other single command.

(How the exit status of the subshell relates to the exit status of
anything it runs is another question.  I imagine it's well-defined....)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca